TSAT Grade D
£20,646 – £23,237 FTE (£17,874 - £20,118 for the hours and weeks stated)
Start Date: ASAP
37 hours per week
40 weeks per year (term time only plus 10 INSET days)
We are looking for a Science Technician to join our newly-built Academy as soon as possible. Goodwin Academy is a vibrant and engaging Key Stage 3-5 mixed Academy, where everyone works and learns within a caring and supportive environment.
What we can offer you:
- A newly built school with a stunning teaching environment and state of the art technology
- Excellent gym facilities
- Regular CPD and social events, including Trust CPD days, the Trust Christmas party and regular Trust theatre trips to London
- Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits
- Onsite parking free of charge
As of 1st September 2018, Goodwin Academy has joined The Thinking Schools Academy Trust (TSAT), a family of 15 primary and secondary schools in Kent and Portsmouth which was rated by the Department for Education as the best performing Multi Academy Trust in the country for KS4 progress (2018). TSAT is a successful trust underpinned by a commitment to transform the life chances of our students, based on our four key values: Child First, Aspire, Challenge, Achieve. The Trust was a runner-up for the TES Employer of the Year award in 2018.
As a result of £25 million investment from the Department of Education, Goodwin Academy moved into its new home in September 2017. The new school is a three storey building with a four court Sports Hall.
Based on Hamilton Road, the new Academy can accommodate up to 1300 students as the education of Deal’s young people has come under one roof.
The multi-functional building consists of a large Dining Hall and Theatre, plus ICT, Technology, Performing Arts and Modern Foreign Language classrooms on the Ground Floor. On the First Floor, are the English, Humanities and Art faculty, along with some additional ICT classrooms. Maths and Science are based on the Second Floor alongside the Sixth Form Common Room. In addition to the Sports Hall, with its Olympic standard floor, there is a Fitness Suite and Dance Studio.
Your new role:
As Science Technician, you will be responsible, under the direction of the Head of Science for:
- Providing professional and reliable support to Science teachers at the Academy
- Managing the technical provision for performances and events at Goodwin Academy and the Academy’s outreach work
- Assisting and developing the day-to-day running of the Science Department, and promoting the work of the department internally and within the community
- Ensuring that backstage and technical Health and Safety is to the required standard, including general maintenance and reporting of any issues
- Maintaining and operating science equipment for class use
What you’ll need to succeed:
- ‘C’ grades or above at GCSE level (or equivalent) in Science, English and Maths
- Prior knowledge or qualification in Science
- To be committed to supporting students
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communicator both orally and in writing
- Effective ICT skills
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Experience of working with children and young people
- Understanding of the educational system and current developments
- Be prepared to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the Academy
- Ability to motivate and to support learning
At Goodwin, we are committed to transforming the life chances of our students, ensuring that all are supported and encouraged to achieve their personal best. We deliver this through the BEST Agenda - ‘Be Your Best’ with BEST being an acronym for:
B = Brilliance, where students will be supported to be brilliant in everything they do.
E = Enrichment, where students will encounter a variety of educational opportunities outside of the classroom.
S = Society, where students will be encouraged to develop as responsible, active and informed world citizens, demonstrating mutual respect, empathy and community spirit.
T = Thinking, where students will join a global community of thinkers.
What you need to do now:
If you are interested in working in a newly-built school, benefitting from a supportive network of teachers across our large Academy and our Trust, and you are keen to progress your career by joining at the start of a new, exciting time for this Academy - then please apply today!
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
The following documents are available relating to this vacancy:
Please note that applications are submitted through our recruitment provider Jane Systems via https://applicant.website